Saturday, March 16, 2019

St. Pat's parade (reprint)


St. Patricks Day shamrock & leprechaun hat
I attended the St. Patty’s Day parade for the first and only time on March 17, 1970. My friend Bill had invited me to meet him in Manhattan for lunch and subsequent viewing of the parade.      

After introducing me to his co-workers, we walked to Finnegan’s Bar & Grill. The place had door-to-door and wall-to-wall people all ordering corned beef and cabbage with green beer. We made our way to the back room and savored our traditional Irish meal. After eating, we ventured out into the cold and blustery NY air and walked to 5th Ave. bucking the wind all the way. The parade looked in full swing with the Ancient Order of Hibernians in their green Fedoras and New York’s finest NYPD in full dress blue uniforms. They marched along the green stripe painted by the city down the center of 5th Ave.

            Too cold to stand for long, we ambled up the avenue until Bill said “Let’s stop in here to warm up.” We entered a very crowded bar where everyone in a jovial mood invited us to imbibe with them. We obliged. After “warming up” we left the bar to see the rest of the parade. Somehow we had accumulated a group of eight to ten people who accompanied us. A block or two later, we decided to “warm up” again in another bar. This process repeated itself for the rest of the afternoon.

            At four o’clock someone suggested we all go for coffee.

            “Oh, I’d love a cup of coffee,” I said. Knowing I had to drive home from Queens, I needed to counter the effects of all the alcohol I drank.

            So the group of us (and it seemed to have grown), trudged to another bar and grill. The waiter ushered us downstairs to a large crowded room with long tables.

            “Coffee all around?” Bill asked.

            “Yes, Yes.” We echoed.

            When the coffee arrived, I warmed my hands on the cup and took a welcomed sip only to realize that he had ordered “Irish Coffee.” A generous shot of whiskey with a liberal layer of cream adorned the miniscule amount of coffee.

            “I think I’ll have tea,” I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment