Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Mary and the Beanstalk

 

 

Some time ago I moved a yucca plant from the entry walkway to the front yard. It  grew too big for the narrow area next to the path. It seems to like its new location because it tripled in size. Then in March I noticed a spike pushing up from the roots. Within three days it grew twice as big. I’ve had this plant for at least fifteen years and it never grew a spike before. I took a picture of it. I asked family and neighbors if they knew what kind of plant I had. No one recognized it.

            My yard man said he thought the spike would grow to six feet before it bent over on itself and reached the ground.

            “It blooms with small purple flowers,” he said

            Sure enough, I noticed tiny buds lining the spike. Each day I check the progress. In one week it swelled from three feet high to six feet, then eight feet and then it reached at least ten or twelve feet. It shows no sign of bending to the ground. And the flowers are yellow, not purple. I wonder if someone came during the night and planted some magic beans in the roots.

            One neighbor said it may be a “century plant”. I looked it up on the internet and Wikipedia said it could grow as high as 26 feet. Sometimes I think I can hear it say “Look at what I can do!”

When my yard man comes again, I’ll ask him “What now? Do I let it surge upward to the sky?” Maybe I can climb it someday.


 

                       

No comments:

Post a Comment