Friday, June 12, 2020

Language




When younger, language came easily to me. I never had to search for a word or phrase. 
Grammar and syntax, never a priority, words flowed from brain to mouth easily and uncensored.
Now that my years have accumulated to Medicare status, words dwell in recesses of my memory and play hide and seek with my mind. 
I know what I want to say and the idea is clear in my brain but refuses to form the necessary syllables on my tongue. I search, I hem and sometimes substitute not the correct word but a poor facsimile. 
Spelling and grammar too have become elusive.
Being an A student in school, I never waivered in my choice of sentences. Now I ponder each word I write – is it spelled correctly? Is it situated in the right location of the sentence? And is this sentence clear to the reader? I’m never sure.
Thank goodness for computer Spell check.

No comments:

Post a Comment