Friday, June 24, 2022

Fort Mongomery N.Y.


  

Some of my best early memories center around summers in Fort Montgomery. I never felt at a loss for something to do. Although I had playmates, I enjoyed exploring on my own. I loved the surrounding woods and spent a lot of time alone in fantasy in the quiet of the forest. I got to know my way around pretty well and had a play area set up in a small clearing. I erected a teepee with scattered branches and put large stones around it for seats. I loved the smells and sounds. I loved the way the sunlight filtered through the trees and created patterns of light and dark across the ground. Fascinated by the woodland life, I marveled at all kinds of insects, salamanders, birds and an occasional snake. I once became frightened when I came upon a rattler - or it came upon me as I played. I heard the rattle before I saw the snake and beat it out of the woods fast. 

 


The house had no electric or gas and of course no indoor plumbing. The whole family, including cousins and aunts and uncles gathered there for portions of the summer. My cousin Margie suffered from allergies and when she slept, her mouth dropped open. One day I caught a small fish in the stream with a safety pin and a line on a pole (a la Huck Finn). I brought it to the house and saw Margie taking a nap with her mouth wide open. I thought what great fun to drop the fish into her mouth, but as I dangled it over her gaping mouth, she awoke and saw me. Boy, did I catch hell after that.

            We had bunk beds and I slept in the bottom bunk and Dolores on the top. One morning as I lay in my bunk wide awake before anyone else, I looked up and saw the upper bunk springs swayed under cousin Dolores and I put my feet against it and pushed. That sent her flying out of the bed. It sure woke everyone up in a hurry. 

Aunt Josie Winkler, cousin Ed Fahey, cousins Delores, Margie, Uncle Jack McGuire

Rear: my father Andrew Fahey; Front: brother Andy (Sonny) Fahey and me Mary (Cookie) Fahey

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment