Thursday, April 16, 2020

Oh Dear


 Surprise Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock
Oh dear, the world has gone crazy. Why do they hoard toilet paper? I went shopping last month and found all the paper product shelves empty. Now I can understand hoarding canned goods, rice and beans, you know…non-perishables, but toilet paper!
Back in the 50’s during the cold war when everyone feared the atom bomb and built shelters in the back yard, they stocked them with foodstuffs and water. The grocery stores never ran out of anything, much less toilet paper.
After checking with all the local stores for toilet paper and finding them bereft of that necessity, I went on line with my search. I finally hit upon Amazon.com. Voila! I found a box of 12 roll double ply for $50. What??? Talk about price gouging.
When it arrived, they delivered it to the wrong apartment.
That resident rang my bell. “There’s a package for you at my apartment. I would have brought it up to you but it’s too heavy to lift”.
How heavy can toilet paper be? I thought but said “Thanks, I’ll bring my cart and pick it up.”
When I tried to lift it, I understood what she meant. I had to lower my cart to the floor and slide the box into it. I took it home, and dragged it out onto the balcony to air out overnight.
The next day, when I opened the box to reveal the contents, I understood why they charged $50. Amazon sent twelve huge rolls of industrial toilet paper. You know…the kind you find in public rest rooms. No wonder it felt too heavy to lift. The rolls are so big, I could never fit one on the holder. I placed one on the back of the toilet. Then I had to find space to store the rest. No easy task in my small apartment. I finally moved some towels to stock my cache of toilet paper.
I have enough toilet paper to last at least a year. I hope the virus doesn’t last that long. I’d have to reorder.
 Image result for images of industrial toilet paper

3 comments:

  1. OMG this is so funny Mary! And I just want to say that one of the bright spots of this pandemic is having you at our meeting again. Blessings,

    ReplyDelete