Sunday, February 23, 2020

Why do we Love our Pets

 
I know about the feeling of unconditional love, companionship and joy received from a pet dog or cat, but what about people who love their snake, fish, bird or rodent? Their love for their pet is no less than my love for my dog Prissy, or my friend Debbie’s love for her cat Max.
What is it that brings out the devotion we have for our pet? It may come from knowing they are dependent on us. We feel needed. I find owning a dog gives me a sense of responsibility. It puts order and stability into my life.
Or maybe our feelings of kinship with our pet harkens back to our primitive ancestors who shared the planet with the animal kingdom on an equal basis, each respecting the other in their place in the world.
The Native Americans paid homage to the buffalo for allowing itself to be killed. Before slaughtering the animal, they gave thanks to the buffalo spirit for providing food, clothing, shelter, weapons and adornment. They wasted nothing.
Two or three times a week, I took my dog Prissy to the dog park. She ran and played with other dogs while I sat on one of the benches and talk with other dog owners. It reminds me of the times when as a young mother I sat on park benches conversing with other mothers, and watched my children play. It’s a deja vue experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment