Monday, September 24, 2018

Hurricane Wedding #3

We had hired a four-piece band for the reception at the Franklin Arms Hotel in Brooklyn Heights. A friend of the band leader stopped by to see him. The MC announced

            “Ladies and gentlemen, my friend has just recorded a song he hopes will be a hit. He would like to sing it for the bride and groom. Here is Jerry Vale to sing ‘Non Dimenticar means don’t forget you are my darling”

            I leaned to my new husband and said, “Wouldn’t it be funny if this guy ever got popular.” When he finished his song, Jerry asked me if I had a special request. I told him “our song, Tenderly,” and he sang it to me. I’m sorry to say I didn’t have the foresight to get a picture or an autograph so I have no proof that Jerry Vale sang at my wedding. You’ll just have to take my word for it.
          We had rented a room at the reception hotel to change into our “going away” clothes and arranged to leave our wedding finery in the room to be picked up by relatives. Richard entrusted the room key to his Grandmother. We donned our new clothes and hurried into a waiting taxi to take us to the Barbizon Plaza Hotel, overlooking Central Park in Manhattan. When we arrived at the hotel and my husband looked for his wallet to pay the driver, he realized he left it in his tuxedo at the reception hall.

            “Driver, take us back to Brooklyn.”

            I waited in the taxi outside the Franklin Arms while my new husband got the room key from his grandmother, retrieved his wallet and returned the key. I later found out that our guests had a good laugh when they saw my groom coming back alone to talk with his grandmother.

            “He’s asking for last minute instructions,” they guffawed. “Yes, Nana, then what do I do?”

            With wallet firmly in his pocket, my husband came back to the taxi, we went back to Manhattan and back to the Barbizon Plaza Hotel, and our married life commenced.

No comments:

Post a Comment