Saturday, January 28, 2017

Regrets






Regrets, I’ve had a few
But then again
too few to mention
My Way…written by Paul Anka
     sung by Frank Sinatra

When this song first streamed through the radio, I thought, “What an arrogant S.O.B. to bulldoze his way through life with few regrets.” With time and maturity, I have altered my view of regrets. I’ve seen that many of my former mistakes led me to become the person I am, and enjoy the life I have today. I’m happy with both. It’s only with hindsight that I see the blessings hidden in the disappointments I experienced.
Years ago I attended a women’s retreat in Santa Barbara. Something the facilitator said has stuck with me. I paraphrase but it went something like this.
You are enrolled in a full time school called life, and the purpose of this school is to learn lessons. You must repeat a lesson until learned. Once you have learned a lesson, you go on to the next lesson.
We all have a path to tread. So now I see that the blunders I’ve made taught and strengthened me.  I also believe in the 90-10 principle. Ten percent of incidents that happen, I have no control over. The other ninety percent depends on my attitude and that I do have control over.
In my old age, I can honestly say I have just one regret. I regret any pain I have caused another with my words and/or actions. I can’t undo the past but I can be ever vigilant to not repeat it.






No comments:

Post a Comment