Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Snow Bound



Seeing TV videos of the recent snowstorms that shrouded much of the mid west and east coast, I recall some of my winter experiences on Long Island. One day when I left for work at 6:30 AM, light snow began to fall. Within the hour snow flurries turned into a full-fledged storm.
            By the time my shift ended at 3:00 PM the blizzard continued with no letup in sight until the following day. During the winter, I armed the trunk of my car with shovel, ice scrapper, broom and sleeping bag. I also had snow tires on my car so I felt confident I could make it home. After sweeping the windows clean and shoveling the snow away from the tires, I started my car and pulled out of the parking lot.
 I got as far as the driveway. I had to stop before proceeding into the street and that did me in. When I tried to drive forward, the tires spun in place. I backed up and forward again and this time the car shimmied sideways blocking the driveway. The more I tried to disengage the car from the snow, the deeper it got stuck. With my car firmly planted in place, no one could enter or leave the parking lot. I hiked back to the hospital and called George, the maintenance man. I explained the situation.
“Don’t worry, I’ll pull it out with my truck,” he said. “Stay inside where it’s warm. Have a cup of coffee while you wait and I’ll take care of everything.”
A half hour later, as I chatted with other stranded nurses, he returned to the break room and peered around the corner  with a sheepish look on his face.
“What happened?” I felt sudden fear.
Without answering, he pulled his arm from behind his back. His hand held a full rear bumper, a rope tied to its middle.
“Oh no!”
A big bear of a man, George had an amiable personality and quick wit. He couldn’t suppress the laugh that bubbled up and out.
“Your car’s okay. I towed it back to a parking space. I don’t think you can get out today. The roads are treacherous.”
Some of the evening shift nurses couldn’t get to work. Those that made it either walked or had chains on their tires. One nurse came on her cross country skis. The stranded day shift nurses offered to work a double shift. We were there for the night anyway but management said “no”. They didn’t want to pay overtime. So we chowed down in the cafeteria and watched TV in the day room. When night came, some slept in the lobby or on day room sofas and chairs. I knew of an empty private room and commandeered it before anyone else found it.
The following morning, my day off, I made it home without mishap but when I got to my house, I saw my driveway and walkway completely blocked with about three feet of snow. I parked my car in a nearby plowed lot, took my shovel from the trunk and dug my way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment